Ten authentic Devon General buses brought nostalgic travel to Newton Abbot on Sunday 3rd September at our ‘Devon General Remembered’ running day.
The following vehicles took part:
- MTT 640 Leyland Titan, from 1951
- NTT 661 AEC Regent III, from 1952
- ETT 995 AEC ‘Light Six’ Rebuild, from 1953
- VDV 798 AEC Reliance, from 1957
- VDV 817 AEC Regent V, from 1957
- XTA 839 Albion Nimbus, from 1958
- MSJ 499 (formerly 925 GTA) Leyland Atlantean convertible open-top, from 1961
- 932 GTA Leyland Atlantean convertible open-top, from 1961
- CTT 513C AEC Regent V, from 1965
AEC Regent V 503 RUO also arrived, but unfortunately it experienced a breakdown and could not be used.
The buses provided free bus trips from Highweek Way to Bovey Tracey, Denbury, Lawes Bridge (Torquay) and Teignmouth, with the latter destination featuring open toppers. In all, some 2,000 passenger journeys were made on these services, with duplicate buses needed on some departures. We would like to thank all the bus owners who brought their vehicles along, our enthusiastic team of volunteers that made it all happen, and our sponsors.
Here are some images from the day, courtesy of Richard Nardi:
Posted 5th September 2023